Computers & the Internet
Free computer use and Internet access is provided to all Springdale Public Library cardholders. Available programs on the Library's hard-wired computers include: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Office 2010. In the children's and young adult areas, we offer filtered Internet access and educational software. Black and white and color laser printers are available; printouts cost $.15 per black and white page and $.50 cents per color page.
Wireless access is also available to library cardholders who wish to use their own laptop. Library staff can provide basic information on connecting to the wireless network, but cannot provide technical assistance for laptop owners.
A library card number and a PIN are required to use library computers. Out-of-town visitors (18 years or older) may register for a visitor pass with the presentation of a valid ID such as a driver's license.
Computers are accessed on a first-come, first-served basis. Daily time limits are: adults and adult computers, 2 hours (in blocks of one hour each); teens and teen computers, one hour; and children and children's computers, one hour (in blocks of 30 minutes each).
Librarians will provide searching suggestions and answer general questions about computer use. However, librarians cannot fill out online forms or applications for patrons.
Guidelines for Computer Use
The following rules were established to ensure equitable access to the Library’s computer resources. The Library’s Computer Use Policy specifies that all computer users must comply with these guidelines. Failure to do so will result in the suspension and/or the loss of Library privileges. Users click to accept to follow the Library’s Computer Use Policy and the Guidelines for Computer Use when they log into a computer.
- Library staff reserves the right to end an Internet session if the Internet search causes a disruption of service or if the behavior of the user is inappropriate for a public setting.
- Users must have a valid card from the Springdale Public Library or one of the libraries of the Washington County Library System.
- Adults living outside Washington County may use Library computers as temporary users for a maximum of thirty days by presenting photo identification. After the temporary use period expires, they must obtain a Springdale Public Library card to use a computer.
- Computer use is filtered for all users. The Internet filter blocks access to visual depictions that are obscene or harmful to minors.
- Adult users, 18 and older, may request unfiltered Internet via the computer sign-up system for research purposes.
- The computers in the Children’s Area are for children under the age of 13 and for parents whose children are using the Children’s Area.
- Minors may not enter the Lab unless accompanied by a legal guardian. Users may be asked for identification with proof of age to work in the Lab.
- Users must comply with time sessions implemented by computer sign-up system. Adults are allowed two one-hour sessions daily. Minors are allowed a one-hour session daily. On Sundays, all users are limited to a daily maximum of one hour of use.
- Users must pay for all the pages they print. Printing charges are fifteen cents for single-sided black-and-white copies and fifty cents for single-sided color copies.
- Because of limited space, a maximum of two people may sit together at a single computer. Staff reserves the right to limit any computer to use by only one person.
- Public displays of obscenity are prohibited by Arkansas State Law and are a clear violation of the Library’s Computer Use Policy.
- Users may not save their data on the hard drives of Library computers. Users may save their data on floppy disks or USB drives.
- Users may not alter or attempt to alter Library hardware or software.
- Users are responsible for damage to computer equipment or software.