Kids @ the Library
Need help with your homework? Looking for something fun to do online? Check out these web resources just for kids.
Library databases for kids are a way to get more information about a subject that is included on library shelves! Many of these databases can be accessed from your home computer. Confused? Come talk to the Children's Librarian to learn how to use these amazing resources.
Several databases listed here are made available through the Arkansas Traveler project. This project is made possible by a grant from U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services to the Arkansas State Library under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act. Additional state funds are provided by the Arkansas Department of Education.
- Early World of Learning (in-library and home access)
- Early World of Learning is an educational resource focused on reading and oral language skills - just for preschoolers and children in the early grades. Check out the narrated stories, interactive games, interactive reference material for new readers, and more! Arkansas Traveler database.
- Kids Search (in-library and home access)
- For grades K-5. Includes magazine articles, primary documents, photos, flags, and reference book articles.
- Learning Express Library (in-library and home access)
- An interactive, online program that allows users to take practice tests for elementary school math and reading.
- Searchasaurus (in-library and home access)
- A beginning search site for children. It incorporates colorful graphics and brief articles on topics of interest to children. Arkansas Traveler database.
- TumbleBooks: E-books for E-Kids (in-library and home access)
- Provides online story books, chapter books, puzzles and games, and language learning.
- World Book Online for Kids: (in-library and home access)
- World Book Online for Kids offers easy-to-read articles and engaging multimedia, games, science projects, interactive tools, and activities designed specifically for young library patrons. Arkansas Traveler database.
- World Book Info Finder (in-library and home access)
- World Book Info Finder includes content and features designed for school-aged patrons’ homework and research needs. Based on the World Book Encyclopedia, the site features rich collections of multimedia on a variety of topics, science fair projects; a Biography Center; links to world newspapers, correlations to curriculum standards, 21st century research guides, and much more. Arkansas Traveler database.
- World Book Kids (in-library and home access)
- World Book Kids offers easy-to-read articles and engaging multimedia, games, science projects, interactive tools, and activities. Arkansas Traveler database.
- Includes Animal Corner, Animal Diversity Web, and Insectlopedia.
- Includes the Dino Dictionary and Walk with Dinosaurs.
- Zoos & Aquariums
- Visit some of the country's most famous zoos and aquariums.
- Includes Cartoonster, The Artist's Toolkit, and World Wide Art Gallery.
- Visit famous museums like the Smithsonian or the Exploratorium.
- Includes Piano on the Net, Sing-A-Long Songs, and the Classical Music Archives.
- Includes PBS for Kids, Noggin, and Funology.
- Includes Ben Franklin Online and A&E's Biography.
- US History
- Includes American Memory and WayBack: US History for Kids.
- US History Pre Colonial to 1865
- Includes the Lewis & Clark Expedition and the Oregon Trail.
- US History Post Civil War
- Includes Women's History and the National Civil Rights Museum.
- World History
- Inlcudes Secrets of the Lost Empires and Ice Treasures of the Inca.
- Authors & Illustrators
- Includes the Children's Literature Network.
- Newbery Award
- This award is given to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- Caldecott Award
- This award is given to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- Book & Media Awards
- Includes listings for awards such as the (Laura) Wilder Award, the (Theodore Seuss) Geisel Award, and the (Andrew) Carnegie Medal.
- Charlie May Simon Children's Book Award
- This Arkansas book award is elected through a vote taken by Arkansas school children in grades four, five and six.
- Arkansas Diamond Primary Book Award
- This Arkansas book award was established to encourage reading for students in Grades K-3.
- Computers & Technology
- Includes the Tech Museum of Innovation.
- Includes Cool Math and Math Is Fun.
- Look It Up
- Includes Fact Monster, Online Spelling, and ABC Fast Phonics.
- Astronomy & Space
- Includes Amazing Space and the Earth and Moon Viewer.
- Includes Cells Alive and Kids Health Online.
- Chemistry & Physics
- Includes ChemiCool and Strange Matter.
- General Science
- Includes Cool Science for Curious Kids.
- Includes Earthquakes for Kids and the Mineral Gallery.
- Science Experiments
- Includes the Science Fair Resource Project Guide.
- Weather & The Environment
- Includes EcoKids Online and A Kid's Wilderness Survival Primer.
- Cultures of theWorld
- Includes Global Trek and National Geographic Kids.
- Geography & Maps
- Includes Atlapedia and the CIA World Factbook.
- Politics & Government
- Includes Congress for Kids.
- Religions of the World
- Includes Your Guide to Religions of the World.
- Includes Kids Running and Sports Illustrated for Kids.