Source: Rochester Institute of Technology, Wallace Library
- A term used to identify a publication containing scholarly articles based
on theory or based on research conducted by scientific methodology. Articles
are written by scholars and practitioners in the field. They are refereed by
an editorial committee of peers before being accepted for publication. Articles
contain footnotes, charts and graphs, as needed, and end with a bibliography of
sources. Journals are often published by a university press or are sponsored by
a professional organization.
- A term used to describe publications intended for the general public or a
particular interest group. Most articles are written by professional journalists,
not scholars. The category covers a broad range: from scandal sheets to respected
news reporting, from hobby groups to newsletters of professional organizations
intended to keep practitioners aware of new developments.
- Used to locate articles on your subject in journals and magazines. Lists
article information (citations) under subject terms. Abstracts give a summary
of the contents of the article as well as its citation. In print versions
abstract entries are arranged in subject groupings and identified by consecutive
numbers. A subject index or keyword index will usually identify the abstract entry
The library subscribes to over 300 print magazines and journals. In
addition, the library offers access to thousands of magazines and journals
through its subscription databases. These databases are searchable
and in many instances provide full text of an article.
The following databases are recommended for doing research:
- ProQuest Central
- This database serves as the central resource for researchers at all levels. Covering more than 160 subject areas, ProQuest Central is the largest aggregated database of periodical content. This award-winning online reference resource features a highly-respected, diversified mix of content including scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, books, newspapers, reports and videos. Arkansas Traveler database.
- Research Library (ProQuest)
- ProQuest Research Library provides one-stop access to thousands of full-text periodicals from one of the broadest, most inclusive general reference databases ProQuest has to offer. Search from a highly-respected, diversified mix of scholarly journals, professional and trade publications, and magazines covering over 150 subjects and topics. Arkansas Traveler database.
- Research Companion (ProQuest)
- ProQuest Research Companion is ProQuest’s flagship information literacy product. It was built to help students do more effective scholarly research and to support educators as they teach the core information literacy principles of finding, evaluating, and using information. More than 80 short videos are organized into nine Learning Modules that answer questions like "How do I choose a topic?" "Where do I find information?" and "How do I evaluate sources?" Different kinds of "pre" and "post" assessment questions make the viewing experience more interactive, while allowing educators to measure students’ learning and identify gaps in their understanding. Arkansas Traveler database.